This department forms the backbone of the functionality of the municipality. The property rating process which forms the lifeblood of the organization is guided by the plans produced by this department. Its aim is to ensure coordinated development throughout the municipality.
Among its functions, it has to ensure the formulation of a policy framework for spatial development, environmental management, updating and preparation of relevant and appropriate plans. It is also responsible for informal settlements upgrading, building and townships inspection. Delivery of plots and housing, improvement in environment quality, and research development are also under this department.
- To provide a well planned and world class African city – promoting economic growth and the standard of living
- To ensure Manzini municipality is a sustainable settlement with economic sustainability-social sustainability-environmental sustainability
- To establish better communication and synergy between the city and the public and stakeholders
- To facilitate and control development in the city.
- Building Inspectorate
- Community Development
- Informal Trading
- Outdoor Advertising and Signs.
PROJECTSUNDERTAKEN BY THE DEPARTMENT
- Magwaneni Informal Settlement Upgrading
- Old Zakhele Informal Settlement Upgrading
- Moneni Informal Settlement Urban Development Project
- SMME Development
- Development of a new township named Mkhosi Township
- Development of the multi-million Manzini Regional Shopping Centre
- Upgrading of the Manzini Main Bus Rank into a multi-storey mixed use facility.
- The municipality has large parcels of undeveloped land lying idle particularly within the neighbourhoods yet they are fully serviced by way of infrastructure provision.
- There are high levels of unemployment in the city resulting in the need for development of a Local Economic Development strategy
- Informal settlements are on the increase
- Increase in unplanned peri-urban settlements which situation has the potential to give Council challenges in the event the Manzini urban boundary is extended
- Shortage of burial land
- Outdated planning related laws i.e Town Planning Act, Building and Housing Act